Hviezdoslavovo námestie, 811 02 Bratislava, Slovakia
At present day, one of the most beautiful and busiest squares of Bratislava, was built in 1776 as a
promenade, when Marie Therese ordered to thorn down the city walls to extend the medieval city
This street begins by former Vidricka Gate another of four town gates where the business road to
Vienna once led. Panska ulica along with Laurinska ulica used to create 700 meter long area
called Long Street in the 15th and 16th century. Later in the 17th and 18th century luxurious palaces
gradually grew up here (the name Lord’s street comes from these times) and the street became
the town’s showpiece.
The streets of Bratislava are decorated by various Figures (Cumil, Schoener Naci, Napoleon,
Cumil –is the most photographed curiosity in the old town centre. A Bronze figure of a nosy
observer pushing his head out from a sewer, got a lot of unexpected attention of Bratislava’s
The domain of the square is the Classicistic Archbishop’s Palace. A real jewel in the historical city
centre is now the residence of the mayor. The roof is decorated with and iron cardinal’s hat and
the statues express some human virtues – self sacrifice, wisdom, virtue of service, love for
motherland, cleanliness of the heart……. Angels on the façade hold the letters of the primate’s
personal motto: Iustitia at Clementia (Justice and kindness).